Social Media Icons

 photo CarrieH-Email_zps4241b962.png  photo CarrieH-Facebook_zpsf1571023.png  photo SocialMediaIcon1_zps5c7e5298.png  photo CarrieH-SocialMediaIcon_zps6e33496e.png

Sunday, November 10, 2013

A couple causes near and dear to me

Some important things as we approach the holidays. These are not education driven, but more about the heart, which is an important part of being a teacher as we teach youngsters to become responsible citizens.

I know that the holidays are rough on all of us, empty your pocket for this or that, blah, blah, blah. But from Thanksgiving to Christmas there will be Salvation Army pots in many places.  Please, give them a dollar. Or a nickel. Or the change out the ashtray. But give something.  Salvation army changes lives. And your donation will be put to good use. 96% of all donations go to the cause, unlike some charities. So consider giving to the bell ringer and put some change in the pot. I try to keep a dollar in my console to give on my way and I try to make sure I have a dollar to give on my way out. Why? Because my life is changed today. Salvation army didn't save my life, Jesus Christ and Alcoholics Anonymous saved my life. But I know many people in my situation who have their lives changed by the Salvation and some of those people literally give the credit to the Salvation Army for their life today.  So remember, your gift does make a difference. Go to website and see how the Salvation Army helps those in the community.

You have all seen the Operation Christmas Child promotions and boxes. Pick one up, take it home and fill it up.  They have to be turned in pretty soon.  Operation Christmas Child changes lives for children. Children in war-torn countries and orphanages all over the world who might not get any gifts at all or have any earthly possessions will receive a shoebox sized box full of gifts.  If you are like me, you have a plethora of school supplies stashed away somewhere. I have pencils, erasers, crayons, markers and notebooks stashed in the closet from the beginning of the school year. I often pack party-favors too, because I can buy one package and put favors in several boxes.  I try not to buy THE cheapest thing I can find especially if it looks like it will break right away, but the truth is that I don't have much money and so I buy what I can afford and I pack a box for a child in need. If you go to the website you can gain information about what to put in a box, how to pack it, labels to print for boy or girl, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment